Moving into a new home can be both an exciting and slightly stressful experience. With a few simple tools, clever planning and a little bit of patience, you can start enjoying your new home in a flash!
Our tips for a stress free Spring Cleaning
Recycle, donate, plan a garage sale, sell, throw away, and basically just clean up!
Start spring cleaning early
Planning a summer move? Why not get an early start on spring cleaning and get rid of the dusty old knick-knacks we all accumulate over the years. Go through each room in your home including the garage to identify and discard/donate anything that may be:
- Unused or unnecessary
- Broken, damaged
- Doesn’t work any more, too old or old-fashioned, etc.
Doesn’t it feel great when we can breathe better and when our environment is clutter-free?
Let’s start packing…
- Take this opportunity to clean your decorative pieces and furniture. It’s also a perfect time to do some small adjustments and minor repairs: tighten handle screws, touch up the paint, etc. You could also have your cushions, carpets, curtains and blankets cleaned. You will love the fresh scent of your household textiles when you move into your new home!
- Ask your family and friends if they have any boxes they can give you. Some grocers and local stores can also give away empty cardboard boxes. Plastic and reusable bins and bags are also a great option.
- Prepare your boxes according to the rooms – it will be easier your way around.
- Avoid any bad surprises and carefully wrap all your fragile items.
- Make sure you don’t overload your boxes. If they are too heavy, they may end up breaking and you will have a whole other mess on your hands!
- Make sure you have labels and identify your boxes.
GIVE, DONATE, RECYCLE
Before throwing away, sort out your belongings that are still in good condition but that you want to get rid of. Share a few photos on your social networks or on ad platforms (Marketplace, Kijiji…) and add a small description to give them a second life. You can’t imagine how many happy people you’ll make!
If these items have not found takers on the Internet, don’t hesitate to encourage and donate to local organisations like Renaissance, Value Village, Habitat for Humanity, and Salvation Army.
Visit www.rco.on.ca in Ontario or your city’s website to learn more about recycling programs and how to handle different materials, and call your municipality to collect large objects.
Taking the stress out of delivery services
We know how frustrating it is to have to wait all day for a delivery person or utilities installer to arrive. Getting your purchases to you in a timely and hassle-free manner is one way you can get back to enjoying your new home. Our white glove delivery service was designed with you in mind. With flat rate pricing, predetermined delivery time windows and a dedicated Mobilia delivery team that will take care of unpacking your purchases, installing them and disposing of all packaging, you’ll have one less thing to think about on the big day!
While waiting for moving day, start your pre-shopping online. Who knows, maybe you’ll find the perfect table for your new entrance, or the perfect sofa in the bright living room you’ve been dreaming about, or even the bed with storage you’ve always wanted! Each of the above steps will be much more enjoyable if you add your favourite music to the mix!
Happy Spring Cleaning and Good Luck With Your Move!