It’s time for the dining room table to have its moment in the sun! Always a gathering point, the dining room table has become a multifunctional: it’s a place to entertain guests, have a family meal, sit and chat, grab a bite on the way out the door, and sometimes even do some work. Here are some tips for creating an inviting atmosphere around the table.
The dining room as living space
Gone are the days when the dining room was a dormant space that came to life only for the purpose of entertaining guests. Now the dining room is a focal point and reflection of daily life, occupying the space in any number of ways.
Furniture and accessories are vital to creating a lively dining room, as is the sense of rhythm you can give a room using different combinations of fabric and colour. Here are a few ideas:
- Pair a rectangular table with a bench for a welcoming touch.
- Place a variety of chairs around the table for an inviting look.
- Break the sameness by mixing styles, materials and finishes to give the room a dynamic and cheerful feel.
- Layer rugs to make the space look bigger and comfier.
- If you enjoy entertaining friends at home but prefer not to live with a big table all the time, choose an extendable table.
- Round tables are very well suited to small spaces and create a more intimate feel. They also make for easy traffic flow around the table.
- And whatever you do, don’t forget about colour, which brightens and enlivens a room.
Tables of all shapes, sizes and styles are the moorings of many happy memories of time spent entertaining guests, engaging in conversation, reading a good book, or just relaxing.
Lighting is important too. It’s always better to have several sources of lighting in the dining room to create a soft and warm ambience.
Also, the light over the dining room table should be low enough not to blind the people seated around the table. And consider creating a rhythm above the table with multiple lights!
With everyone leading busy lives, meals are a rare opportunity for all the members of the household to be together in the same space. And to simplify those daily gatherings, you need smart storage space that puts everything within easy reach. Buffets and china cabinets are a must around the table. They’re practical, in addition to providing some space for a wall art or a small table lamp. They also make it possible to add an accent chair, which creates a sense of continuity with the living room or reading corner.
Although living spaces may seem to blend into one another these days, the dining room remains distinctive by virtue of this central table around which we all naturally tend to gather.