When it comes to designing and decorating the home, the area that I like to put a lot of emphasis on is the dining room. As a lifestyle expert and stylist, entertaining to me is as important as design. My style guru, Dorothy Draper penned my must have hosting guide “Entertaining is Fun: How to be a Popular Hostess” in 1941 and her tips and suggestions are still fresh and lovely.
“Round tables […] encourage a more intimate dining experience and always looks chic.”
I love Dorothy’s guide to entertaining with flair, from dinner parties for family or friends to holiday meals and weekend guests. I would strongly suggest picking up a copy of her book (I found my copy on eBay). Over the years I have borrowed dozens of tips from Dorothy and here are a few of my favourites along with a few tips from me for dining room décor “must haves”.
1. “Today fussy, fussy formal parties are definitely out of style. Smart people won’t be bothered with that sort of thing. They want to enjoy themselves and have a good time” Dorothy Draper
2. If you are in a smaller space swap out your dining room table for a new round one! Round tables are the latest trend for dining rooms. A round table encourages a more intimate dining experience and always looks chic. I love the CARLYLE M table from Mobilia it is timeless, modern and looks great with a number of styles of chairs.
3. If your dining room is looking outdated invest in a refresh. I love adding a little wallpaper to a dining space; the room should feel warm and luxurious. I also adore the new WELLES dining table from Mobilia, it will instantly update a space and will still look chic when it is not “set”.
4. A buffet is a ‘must have” for every dining room not matter the size. It acts as a second pair of hands or a serving helper allowing a host to have more fun time with her guests. The FREEDOM buffet is a great option for a small space, while the ECKO buffet would be a welcome addition to any dining room. Speaking of sizes, one thing I really find helpful when shopping for dining room furniture at Mobilia is many of the tables are made to measure, you choose the size, legs and finish. Just ask one of the savvy sales associates for advice, they are always happy to help.
5. Last but not least, Dorothy’s recipe for a perfect party: “Take what you’ve got; mix well with imagination, courage, a dash of humour and the desire to enjoy life. The result is guaranteed to please.” Dorothy Draper
Janette Ewen, Interior stylist and The Style Blog collaborator (at Mobilia, we just LOVE everything she does!)
From her start as an MTV set stylist to her successful career as a designer, design editor, TV host and ambassador for brands such as Moet, Mobilia and PANDORA Jewelry, Janette has continually sought to entice audiences to design their own eclectic experiences and celebrate life to the fullest. Janette’s personal mantra “stay interested, be interesting” guides her exciting life—full of design, travel and creation. Janette’s adventures and passion for style and good taste have been featured in the LA Times, Nylon Magazine, The Globe and Mail and House and Home magazine.
As a design partner at Parker Barrow Design studio, Janette is “over the moon” to be creating spaces that would find a happy home in her fast-paced, whimsical life.
Janette’s fans enjoy keeping up with her adventures through her popular social media pages including Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Her blog “gojette” is a go-to for trends setters and tastemakers alike. In her spare time Janette loves traveling, rally car racing and hiking throughout North America.